As the great sage R-Kelly once imparted on us in his infinite wisdom…”It’s the freakin’ weekend and Im’ma ’bout to have me some fun.” So get the Cristal poppin’ and fire up the stretch Navigators and head on out to the grocery store to pick up this week’s brunch delight to bake up for a brisk, fall, Saturday or Sunday treat. This recipe calls for making ahead and refrigerating overnight, so there is your heads-up. It’s a relatively simple recipe, but allow yourself that extra time to let it set.
The GOOD news is, that with all of this making ahead craziness, you will have a fairly constructed dish to pop in the oven that requires little effort to get maximum taste. You and your loved ones will be glad you took the time to prepare ahead as you kick back, read the paper, curl up in a blanket to watch some T.V., and smell the fragrant, savory aromas of your gourmet breakfast wafting from the oven. Happy Friday and, as always, Bon Appetit!
Ham, Broccoli and Cheese Strata
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 1/4 cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 medium sweet white onion, quartered and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced (about 1¼ cups)
- 6 large eggs
- 3 Tablespoons prepared spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham (about 3/4 pound)
- 12 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 3¼ cups)
- 1 loaf (16 ounce) sourdough French bread, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- Cut broccoli into spears, removing leaves and tough ends. Blanch in boiling water then cool quickly in ice water. Chop into approximately ¾-inch pieces and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground red pepper and sauté onion, garlic and red bell pepper.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and combine with mustard and black pepper then mix in milk.
- Place half of the bread cubes in a well buttered 13x9-inch baking dish. Add layers of half the amounts of the onion mixture, broccoli, ham and cheese. Add second layer of bread cubes and pour half of the egg mixture over the layers. Repeat layers with remaining onion mixture, broccoli, ham and cheese. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the assembled layers.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.