Summary: A delicious, flavorful, healthy and EASY dressing to make for your everyday salad.
- Whole, red bell pepper(s)-raw
- Balsamic vinegar of your choice (such as Modena)
- Olive Oil of your choice (such as Colavita)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh chopped garlic cloves (or minced dry garlic in a pinch)
- Pinch of salt (Kosher preferred)
- Pinch of ground pepper (substitute cracked if preferred)
- Slice off the head of the red pepper(s) and remove stem from center and chop remaining pepper that is left over from the cap.
- Remove seeds from the interior of the red pepper and slice in half, then in long thi n strips lengthwise. Next chop strips in half.
- Place red pepper(s) in a container that has a secure, airtight lid for the finished prod uct. Fill with balsamic vinegar until red peppers are almost completely covered. Add a dash of oil until the red peppers are completely submerged in the liquid mixture. (about 90% vinegar/10% oil).
- Next add fresh garlic, or dry minced garlic, to the mixture (dry garlic will soften as it marinades). Use as much as is your liking.
- Finally take basil leaves and tear in half or thirds and drop into mixture.
- Add a pinch of salt (optional), and a pinch of pepper to fit your taste and liking.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly and place in fridge overnight.
- After 24 hours, your peppers will be delightfully tender and full of flavor. Pour the red pepper mixture (including liquid) on to fresh greens, or your favorite sandwich or pizza, for a flavor-packed punch!
For optimal taste, remove dressing mixture from refrigerator about 15 minutes prior to using to allow oil to warm/mellow.
This dressing will yield as much as you like or need. Just use the original instructions (x) the amount of ingredients you have available, or desire to make!
You can use a lighter oil if watching calories, but the heartier the oil, the better the flavor will be. Add some oregano to give even more kick!
Cooking time (duration): 5
Diet type: Good for Vegetarians
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, Gluten free, Raw
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: dressing, snack